The Readiness Institute at Penn State is thrilled to announce it will partner with the World Artificial Intelligence Competition for Youth (WAICY) as the U.S. host for WAICY 2023. As the pursuit of artificial intelligence (AI) innovation reaches new heights, there’s no better stage to showcase groundbreaking talent than this event.
WAICY encourages kids around the world to build and submit AI projects that could solve real-world problems, including climate change, human rights, global public health care, and more. Teams of students are then selected to present their projects to a panel of WAICY judges. The competition covers three tracks:
- AI Showcase Track: Create a project that showcases an AI solution for a real-world problem.
- AI Generated Art Track: Based on this year’s theme, create artworks using text-to-image AI models like DALL∙E 2, Midjourney, or Stable Diffusion.
- AI Large Language Model Track: Instruct the AI to adopt a specific domain of expertise using popular AI Large Language Models, such as ChatGPT, Bard AI, and others.
This year, Penn State will host the competition in person on December 2, 2023, at the Digital Foundry at New Kensington.
“WAICY 2023 is set to be an exhilarating experience, bringing together young minds from across the globe to showcase their prowess in the field of artificial intelligence,” said Justin Aglio, associate vice president for Penn State Outreach and executive director at the Readiness Institute. “We’re excited that Penn State is able to bring a local spotlight to the competition. The University’s reputation as a hub for innovation and research in Pittsburgh makes it the perfect host for WAICY 2023.”
WAICY at Penn State will offer:
- State-of-the-Art Facilities: The Penn State competition will take places at the Digital Foundry at New Kensington, a regional hub for innovation, problem-solving, learning, and collaboration.
- Expert Guidance: Penn State staff and industry experts will be actively involved in mentoring and guiding participants, ensuring that they receive the support they need to excel in the competition.
- Global Participation: This opportunity gives local high schoolers a chance to take their talents to the worldwide WAICY stage and be a part of a global community of AI enthusiasts.
- Networking: Participants will have the chance to connect with peers, mentors, and industry leaders, creating valuable connections that can extend beyond the competition.
WAICY is not just a competition; it’s an immersive learning experience and an opportunity for students to engage with cutting-edge technologies, solve real-world problems, and push the boundaries of AI.
As Penn State opens its doors to WAICY 2023, the anticipation is high for an event that promises to redefine the landscape of artificial intelligence. Get ready for a showcase of brilliance, collaboration, and innovation!
Registration is now closed. Winners will be announced Monday, December 4th, 2023.